Thursday, October 3, 2013

Tonights NFL match up and MLB playoffs

 Tonight's game should be pretty good as we watch the Buffalo Bills travel to Cleveland to take on the Browns.

Lets start with Buffalo. The Buffalo Bills are 2-2 coming into Cleveland and are 21st in points per game with 22 a game. Quarterback EJ Manual, in my opinion, is a beast and does a great job being a young leader. Buffalo's defense needs a wake up call though, giving up 23.2 points per game they are ranked 18th. I don't see Buffalo doing much in their conference with of course New England and the surprise of Miami leading the the division but give them a couple of years.

Cleveland is a surprise of the NFL and I'm behind them. I believe Cleveland, I believe. Yeah they may of lost to the Ravens but it was by 8 points. Not only that but they beat they Bengals. The Bengals, the 10-6 last year playoff team Bengals. All of this coming off of trading Trent Richardson to the Colts. Cleveland may lead their division now but it wont last long no matter how much I want them to win it all. The offense for Cleveland is ranked 29th with 16 points a game and defense giving up 17.5 points per game which is ranked in the top 10 at number 8.

Prediction for tonight's game: I would pick Buffalo being as their rushing attack is 2nd in the NFL but Cleveland's defense is stingy being in the top 10 in defense points per game(8th), defensive yards per game(3rd), defensive pass yards per game(9th), and defensive rush yards per game(4th). With that being said I pick the Cleveland Browns 17-14.

 Moving on to the MLB the playoffs start tonight with the Nation League starting us off with the Pirates taking on the Cardinals and the Dodgers facing off against the Braves. Let me back up real quick and talk about the last two "playoff games". I love that the MLB opened up two more spots for the playoffs but I cant stand that its a one game winner takes all. What kind of bull is that? I may be wrong, I bet that there are some people that like the format but I cant stand it. At least make it a three game series or something. After watching the Indians I felt so bad for them because I truly believe that the Cleveland Indians were a better team than the TB Rays. Like I said I may be wrong, but I'm sticking to making it a three game series. Back to the games at hand.

   The Pirates and Cardinals face off tonight in the first of five and the Pirates took won the season series. Tonight's match up is AJ Burnett against Adam Wainwright. We will start with Burnett as he comes off of a 10-11 season with a 3.30 ERA. He is also the Pirates most experienced postseason pitcher making his 7th start, his first since playing for the Yankees in 2011. On a side note for his season he also topped 200 K's for the first time since 2008. The two best hitters against Burnett for the Cardinals are Carlos Beltran and Matt Holliday. Both Beltran and Holliday are batting over .300 against Burnett which both having over 20 AB against the right hander. Beltran has 2 homers and 11 RBIs and Holliday with 1 homer and 6 RBIs.
   Adam Wainwright will take the mound for the Cardinals tonight and he had a terrific season going 19-9 with a 2.94 ERA. Wainwright may have had a great season but he shines in October as he has a 2.48 ERA through 32.2 innings (four starts and nine relief innings). Last years Game 1 in the NLDS he gave up 1 run while sending 10 of Washingtons hitters to the bench in 6 innings. Looking at the line up for the Pirates there is one hitter who stands out above the rest and that is of course Andrew McCutchen who in 28 at bats is hitting .429 with 1 homer and 3 RBIs.
 
Prediction: Baseball, I believe, is the hardest thing to predict. There are so many variables in baseball that it is truly who heats up at the right time. With that being said Adam Wainwright is untouchable to 8 of the 9 batters in the Pittsburgh so Ill take the Cardinals winning game 1 of the series, I have the Pirates taking the series 3-2.

   The game to follow will be the Dodgers and Braves as Clayton Kershaw faces Kris Medlen. We will start with Clayton Kershaw and really you cant say enough about this guy, he has to be the best left handed pitcher in the game. He had a 16-9 season with a 1.83 ERA for the season and looks like he will win his second CY Young award and why wouldn't he after leading the Majors with the 1.83 ERA and also topping the NL with 232 strikeouts. He has not faced the Braves yet this year and the only person on the line up with any success is Freddie Freeman batting a .500 with 1 HR and 1 RBI but that's only in 2 AB so I don't give him too much credit.
   Kris Medlen will start for the Braves as he comes into the playoffs after posting a 15-11 season with a 3.11 ERA. The end of his season was the better part of his year as he posted a 2.04 ERA in his last 11 starts. He comes into tonight's game looking to avenge his loss in last years Wild Card Game. Looking at the line up for the Dodgers there are a slew of hitters that might give Medlen a problem with Hanley Ramierz hitting .556 in 9 ABs and Skip Schumaker hitting .444 with 9 ABs as well. Three others in the line up are hitting .333, Andre Ethier, Tim Federowicz, and of course Puig.

Prediction: I have to go with the Dodgers in this one but it will be a close series. 3-2 Dodgers over the Braves.

   Well that's all for today ladies and gentleman so I hope you enjoyed it. We will see how everything plays out tonight. Hold me to my predictions folks and leave me comments let me know what you think and if you have an argument or objection present it. I would love to hear it. Tomorrow I will cover the games from last night as well as take a look at the AL playoff games and maybe a little bit of hockey. Have a good day folks, Ill see you tomorrow.   

No comments:

Post a Comment